FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - One Mile at a Time [OMaaT] discussions [merged]
Old Nov 19, 2017, 12:52 pm
kokonutz
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by GUWonder
I find the market for miles/points bloggers to be rather saturated, and it really is not my cup of tea. For me as a reader, the blog market in this space was more interesting several years ago. But in this regard, I've got way more in common with you than with OMAAT and the other FT-spawned bloggers.

OMAAT was never really all that interesting to me, but I couldn't but be amused and satisfied by a rather young kid taking their hobby from FT and making it into a rather lucrative business venture that stays on the correct side of the law AFAIK and generated the blog/blogger a rather lucrative stream of money out of what had been the then-kid's hobby. Lot of significantly older adults who considered themselves to have "traveled extensively" and had FT as a base didn't consider monetizing their knowledge/resources and experiences. Not sure what that says about who is more naive or less.

With experience comes wisdom? I wouldn't be all that sure about that. More generally, with experience comes knowledge, not necessarily wisdom.

Rookie mistakes? I think we all make some of those. But not everyone has the confidence to expose themselves as not being perfect, even when not a rookie.

Let's make this a bit more simple: if the FBI, in the course of an investigation, asked you if OMAAT's founder had traveled extensively or not at all, what would you say?
i would say that while he has been to a lot of places he hasn’t actually traveled extensively in the sense that he hasn’t explored the places or bothered to understand the cultures he has visited in depth.

Not saying that in a judgey way. Just as an observation.

Shrug.

Last edited by kokonutz; Nov 19, 2017 at 1:08 pm