FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Citi Hilton Honors cards going away by end of 2017
Old Nov 19, 2017, 4:40 am
BrlDsguise

Programs: AA, US, WN, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by kpbadger
I got what I consider to be good news in a letter from Citi last week:

"Your Citi Hilton Honors Reserve account is being converted to ThankYou Preferred."

Some key points from the correspondence (paraphrasing and summarizing):

- Unless I contact Citi before January 1, 2018, they will automatically convert my account.
- I "may be eligible to convert to another Citi product"
- All purchases through January 29 continue to accrue Hilton Honors points and count toward achieving Diamond status
- Citi will provide me with a free night certificate in January 2018
- After January 29, Hilton points no longer accrue and the free night benefit will no longer be available
- Mid-December 2017: I'll receive details about the benefits of my new Citi ThankYou Preferred account
- January 30, 2018: Keep using my Citi Hilton Honors card to start earning ThankYou points
- February-March 2018: I'll receive my new Citi ThankYou Preferred card, activate it, yada yada

Data points:
- Citi card opened in 2014, $40K+ spend this year
- 2 AmEx cards (Delta Reserve for 3 years, Hilton Surpass opened a few months ago for the 100K bonus) with $60K+ annual spend

I'm thrilled that this account isn't going to AmEx since I don't need a duplicate, and this doesn't seem to affect the already-earned free night and diamond status. The key data point I'm sharing here is that AmEx didn't want my account, and I have a credit score above 800 and perfect standing with AmEx for over 10 years... which seems to go against the hypotheses earlier about the sorts of accounts AmEx would reject.
So you didn't get the Amex letter? Maybe Amex didn’t want to issue a duplicate card.
​​