FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - AF discrimination based on PoS
View Single Post
Old Nov 18, 2017, 10:07 pm
Keter

Programs: KL PFL; BA Gold; A3 Silver; EY Silver; SU Silver
Originally Posted by NickB

Now, airlines which are licensed in the EU (i.e. EU carriers) are not allowed to discriminate in this way in relation to access to public air fares for itineraries that depart from the European Union. To the extent that varying the availability of inventory depending on POS does precisely that (i.e. make some fares accessible in some POS and not in others), it seems to me that it is clearly prohibited by the Reg. One issue which is a little grey in the Reg is whether this applies only to POS within the EU or worldwide. Thus, it is IMO reasonably clear that AF is under an obligation to make the same inventory available from French or German or Greek or Latvian etc... POS for its public fares for itineraries departing from the EU. What is less obvious is whether AF would be under the same obligation to make the same inventory available from Russia, Brazil, Hong Kong, USA, etc... POS for those same public fares for itineraries departing from the EU. Art 23 does not explicitly limit discrimination on grounds of nationality and residence of the purchaser to the EU only. However, it does so in relation to ticket resellers and it is arguable that the limitation to intra-EU sales only is implicit.
That's where i started this thread. From what i read above it seems EU airlines are bound to non-discrimination by PoS. This is why i suggested they use intermediary (remember Panama papers?) to overcome some restrictions for POS not within EU.

As for where to buy I would expect most of non-frequet travellers have no idea that buyng though another PoS will give them different pricing. In this way it is a depective business practice. I guess EU needs some professionals in committees looking after airlines

PS: I know BA is even more aggressive in this. But this is AF forum.