FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - [Consolidated] Chance of upgrade clearing on my flight {Archive}
Old Nov 15, 2017, 5:20 pm
jsloan
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pmmk
Thanks!

Flying out on a Wednesday, returning on a Thursday. We had to stay somewhat in the same flight date range, but anything +/- 3 days has 0 R availability. Overall, I thought the upfare for $1,000 plus GPU was worth it, since I likely won't have the change to GPU on a 15hr+ again and the regular business class were $8k+.

Any thoughts on potential issues with us being 2 people on the reservation and being jumped by a single person when a spot opens up? Or should that not happen if they have multiple? Can't really split from the wife for an upgrade
Welcome to FT!

It is definitely possible to be jumped by a single flyer when you have a two-person waitlist in place. I agree with the earlier poster that it probably won't happen, but it could.

If your upgrades do not clear in advance, and you want to eliminate any possibility of being split from your wife on the return flight, you must call UA to remove the upgrades before you check in (and possibly before T-24 -- I forget). Otherwise, your reservation will be split in order to waitlist you both for gate upgrades -- and that split will carry over to your return segment as well, which could then clear separately.

Midweek, I would expect your chances are decent that the upgrade will clear, but it's a long way away. Also, consider whether you'd rather fly nonstop in Y or with a stop in J. You may be able to SDC to a flight with open R on the day of departure (careful -- you can't waitlist an instrument within 24 hours, so it'd have to be space that's already open in R), or a schedule change might come up that moves the flight times enough that you could get a free rebooking if you wanted one.

Good luck!