FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - [NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free)
Old Nov 15, 2017, 7:39 am
Gardyloo
Moderator, OneWorld

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
Originally Posted by tkelvin69
Yes.

When I try to start in MPM I get flights to MAD but error message for any flight after that (the same flights that priced with the JNB ITN).
I'm not sure when they went up, but Expert Flyer now says that ex-MPM DONE4s price out US$140 more than ex-South Africa, so that window is now closed and there's no point in fussing with Mozambique.

US$8K sounds about right given taxes and fees on top of the base $7055 fare.

For what it's worth, for the moment starting in Oslo is only $100 more in base fare than starting in South Africa. It looks like other "cheap" origin countries, including Japan, have seen recent price increases, possibly reducing their usefulness as alternative start points. In your case it might be cheaper to start the RTW ticket in Norway rather than Africa, as the ultimate return to the US (after the RTW) might be cheaper than returning all the way from southern Africa. For example, your route could be modified to OSL-LHR-ATH-MAD-JFK-SEA-LAX-HKG-SGN/HAN-KUL-HKG-JNB-DOH-OSL or OSL-DOH-JNB-HKG-SGN/HAN-KUL-HKG-LAX-SEA-JFK-MAD-ATH-LHR-OSL which might be cheaper (and maybe more convenient) than twisting yourself around with positioning trips to and from Africa. You could even ride Norwegian's el cheapo service to Oslo to position for the RTW start.

Last edited by Gardyloo; Nov 15, 2017 at 7:44 am