FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - One Mile at a Time [OMaaT] discussions [merged]
Old Nov 13, 2017, 9:10 am
kokonutz
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by AAExPlat
Ding Ding Ding! I have been managing marketing budgets as small as 2mio/year and as large as $40 mio/year...how social media or blogging or anything works depends heavily on the product or service you sell and it is something that changes all the time. A good senior marketing leader understands that and constantly tests new channels and optimizes the media budget. And nobody that truly understands anything about marketing makes blanket declarations about what works and what doesn't...if you meet someone who does, run as fast as you can.
Completely agree. And to craigthemif's point, if marketing decisions are being made in the absence of KPI around impressions, conversions, CPL and CAC, etc. etc. then you are just pissing money away. When I talk about marketing gurus I am talking about number crunchers. And when we looked at the metrics (in the travel and leisure space) the bloggers were massively under-performing other social media influencers in nearly every category and that was for both advertising as well as paid/sponsored content.

Anyway, sadly, this issue is way more interesting to talk about than anything Ben has blogged about lately. Which is part of the problem, I suppose.

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward

But I do sincerely think someone who's run a business since they were in their teens and has employed people at an age when a lot of peers are just starting to figure stuff out in college is probably going to do just fine. If the current business doesn't work out in a decade there's options; if he sets aside cash at a decent clip he might be able to retire early. Maybe he'll go back into luxury travel agent work. Who knows.
I wrote basically the same sentiment and yet you are still accusing me of bad intent. Remember, when you point a finger at someone you are pointing three back at yourself....@:-)