FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Aeroplan City Pair mileage (new pseudo-MPM)
Old Nov 8, 2017, 5:16 pm
zoqfotpik

Originally Posted by drvannostren
I've been using a trick that was posted here (don't remember the thread, so that's why I saved it as a jpg) to find the MPMs on the aeroplan site. I've found some strange info though...here's some MPMs, what I found strange is some of the more remote cities still have lower MPM.

YVR-LED 7911 (this one struck me as REALLY low, the most direct route I can think of with * would be YVR-FRA-LED and that's 6114)

YVR-VIE 9013 (YVR-FRA-VIE is 5412, how does that make sense?)

YVR-KBP 8924

YVR-OTP 9452

YVR-FCO 9557

YVR-SVO 8455

I was under the impression part of what goes into calculating MPM is how many carriers serve it and from where. Like if the ONLY way to get to Vladivostok lets say (just picked a really remote city) is via PEK, then the MPM would be commensurate with that, as opposed to flying via FRA and MOW. But in that line of thinking, I have no idea how Rome is higher than Moscow, despite the fact that I can't think of any logical routing that makes Rome more than 7000? Even just looking at the sticky...why is Moscow (VKO) only 127 miles more than Zurich? That makes no sense, the distance between the two is almost 1400, Moscow is less served and less central than Zurich. I wouldn't necessarily say Moscow should be much higher, but should Zurich be at least 1300 MPM less, closer to 7000 than 8500?
I think it's because MPM is relative to distance between two points in a straight line. For example, if you plot YVR-LED and YVR-VIE on gcmaps, you will see that VIE is actually further from LED. MPM is determined accordingly based on distance between two points.