FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Aman as a solo traveler
View Single Post
Old Nov 6, 2017, 9:59 am
mike_la_jolla

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, SWA CP
I do not recommend this, unless you are a serious (and experienced) loner and/or have some sort of ulterior motive. The only Aman in your target region where you even have a chance of meeting a single other English speaking non-employee is Aman Tokyo*. I've done three entire stays at ASP and only once did I even SEE another person, let alone have a conversation. You wouldn't see anybody at 'Pulo, or 'Noi. Same for 'Yara and 'Gani although those are out of your target area. We did have a conversation with other guests at 'Giri, but that place was at 100% capacity and not handling it well. Also, it is creepy to be the *only* person in a restaurant. I had THAT issue at all my meals at ASP and the service was still poor. My SO, for example, took >1000 pictures at Amanpulo, and I can only find a single other person in two photos.

Back in the days I was vacationing solo I did the Club Med thing until that company got so frenchJERK-customer-hostile I couldn't tolerate it.

Also, do NOT assume that the employees can/will pick up the social slack. Most can't speak English.

* -- I do not accept the assumption here that this is a successful Aman. And I have low expectations for NYC.