FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Upcoming changes to Flying Blue in 2018
View Single Post
Old Nov 6, 2017, 6:23 am
tigertanaka

Programs: BA Gold, AF/KL Gold, Hilton Gold, Nordic Choice Gold
I am fairly positive on the news at the moment but of course we all have our own circumstances.

As someone doing a lot of short haul trips via AMS from an expensive airport, I am happy that there is a better correlation between the amount spent and the mileage earning. Depending on how KLM define government taxes, I am looking at around a 33% improvement in mileage earning, despite the fact that most of my tickets are booked back to back. Avoiding back-to-backs altogether will earn me closer to double than what I got before.

The increase in segments required to make gold is no real issue for me and the change of points year gives me more flexibility to maintain both my Silver/Gold on BA and Gold/Platinum of AFKL. One issue with the new scheme is that Gold/Plats especially may hold off booking AFKL flights to avoid triggering the a reset of their year too early.

What it will do is stop me getting in my 30 segments by the end of May, retaining Gold for the next 19 months and then diverting my attention back to BA for a while which is not ideal for me but I guess it is better for AFLK.

Qualifying by level miles is irrelevant to me as I normally reach the 30 segment target for Gold having earned only 12-13,000 level miles.