FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - [FARE GONE] La/++ akl-scl-mad-hnd €570
View Single Post
Old Nov 5, 2017, 4:26 am
beyounged

Originally Posted by mihaid
I booked myself on the following itinerary: AKL - SCL - LIM (3 nights stopover) - GYE - MAD (3 months stopover) - NRT. All segments operated by LA except for the last one, which is operated by IB. Booked through Expedia for $685, ticketed on 045-stock (LA) within minutes, seats selected for all segments, booking visible on both latam.com and iberia.com. Booking classes: G, X, X, X, X for LA and S for IB. The IB segment will earn me only 50% of the miles flown, but I will be getting 100% for all LA segments. For this price, I can’t complain.
I could have booked a more creative routing (through PPT, IPC, SCL and EZE) for about $300 more but I have been to IPC before (in 2014, thanks to the MEX-IPC fare at the time), the AKL-PPT segment would have been on TN so no useful miles for me and the about 7h overnight layover in EZE would have been awful. Likewise, I could have booked MAD-HEL-NRT (on AY) instead of MAD-NRT nonstop on IB but I am not a huge fan of AY (I do not dislike them as badly as I dislike BA, but still...).
My only discontent is that I could not price the MAD-NRT part of the trip as MAD-FRA-NRT (on LA and JL) but I thought I spent already too much time playng with this itinerary. In the end, I am happy with what I booked.
If you are crediting to QR then it is 50%, only CX and MH take X class on LA as 100%, are you sure your calc is correct? Also I found when transiting through LIM one usually gets X class, direct SCL-MAD gets S though.

another strange discovery is that when I force the Europe-Asia sectors on CX on certain itineraries and dates, it triggers some weird other fare to pop in, and the SCL-MAD-FRA-HKG segments becomes J and price out at a reasonable 2.7k for the entire trip, which I think is a good deal for 27hr of J and 30+hr in Y for a trip around the world. LA J is not creme de la creme, but CX still has quite a lot of redeeming qualities. Strange fares indeed, so strange that I don't even want to question why... here is a link but it appears unbookable. https://goo.gl/flights/Cyqw

Last edited by beyounged; Nov 5, 2017 at 4:32 am