FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - To Fly. To Serve (notice) [data protection breach]
Old Nov 4, 2017, 10:01 am
corporate-wage-slave
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
The context to this was the poor weather conditions yesterday, with a number of aircraft being turned around with last minute changes of routes, I think there were over 50 being handled at one stage.

The captain's announcement is indeed strange. The version that I have heard, and which sounds a lot better is "Please don't take it out on the crew, however by all means come to me at the end of the flight if you wish to discuss the matter further". There may have already been an incident when the captain made that PA perhaps.

For the vouchers, what happens is that they come out of FLY and are marked by passenger with their details. Now I don't know what happened here, but with presumably 160 vouchers to hand out, there would be 2 scenarions: either they used a dummy name to generate them (though one can imagine that financial controls would stop that idea), or it was a real person's name. In the latter case they would then have had to ask everyone to form an orderly line and then fish out the right boarding pass to the right person, however at the arrival airport most people are pretty keen to get home as quickly as possible. So (I'm guessing) expediency was used to hand out random cards to each passenger as they arrived. Not a great situation, the alternative - possibly better - is to have done nothing on the day and offer 2,000 Avios to anyone who complained. Alternatively to have done the line up but those who weren't bothered could go on their way.

As I say it isn't great but it probably represents what the staff at EDI could have done to help quickly, rather than some terrible and deliberate data breach.