FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - [ARCHIVE to 2018] American Express Announces Two New Hilton Credit Cards
Old Nov 1, 2017, 2:00 am
lmwong1977

Programs: HH Gold, CC Gold
Isn't the "incidental airline" thing not easy to use on the Amex end? I think I read on one of the blogs it runs on the same "rails" as heir other cards.

It's been awhile since I've looked at the platinum card threads, but I recall you had to select the airline before you charged things and there were pretty picky about what was considered eligible. Award taxes didn't count, upgrades didn't count, etc. There was talk of buying airline giftcards, but there was some updates not sure if that changed things.

Found a thread in the Amex section - not sure if they revised this again but..:
Revised terms for 2014:

Quote:
Benefit is available to Consumer and Business Platinum Card® and Centurion® Members only. To receive statement credits of up to $200 a year toward incidental air travel fees, Card Member must enroll and choose a qualifying airline at www.americanexpress.com/airlinechoice. Only the Basic Card Member or Authorized Account Manager(s) on the Card Account can enroll and select the qualifying airline. Card Members who have not chosen a qualifying airline will be able to do so at any time. Card Members who have already selected a qualifying airline will be able to change their choice one time each year in January at www.americanexpress.com/airlinechoice or by calling the number on the back of the Card. For 2014 only, Card Members may update their airline selection one additional time starting on 1/15/2014 through 2/28/2014 at www.americanexpress.com/airlinechoice or by calling the number on the back of the Card. Card Members who do not change their airline selection will remain with their current airline. Statement Credits: Incidental air travel fees must be charged on the enrolled Card Account for the benefit to apply. Purchases made by both the Basic and Additional Card Members on the enrolled Card Account are eligible for statement credits. However, each Card Account is eligible for up to a total of $200 a year in statement credits across all Cards on the Account. Incidental air travel fees must be separate charges from airline ticket charges. Fees not charged by the Card Member's airline of choice (e.g. wireless internet and fees incurred with airline alliance partners) do not qualify for statement credits. Incidental air travel fees charged prior to enrollment in this benefit are not eligible for statement credits. Airline tickets, upgrades, mileage points purchases, mileage points transfer fees, gift cards, duty free purchases, and award tickets are not deemed to be incidental fees. The airline must submit the incidental air travel fees under the appropriate merchant code, industry code, or required service or product identifier for the charge to be identified. Please allow 2-4 weeks after the qualifying incidental air travel fee is charged to your Card Account for statement credit(s) to be posted to the Account. We rely on airlines to submit the correct information on airline transactions, so please call the number on the back of the Card if statement credits have not posted after 4 weeks from the date of purchase. Card Members remain responsible for timely payment of all charges. To be eligible for this benefit, Card Account(s) must be active and not in default at the time of statement credit fulfillment. If a charge for any incidental air travel fee is included in a Pay Over Time feature balance on your Card Account (for example, Sign & Travel), the statement credit associated with that charge will not be applied to that Pay Over Time feature balance. Instead, the statement credit will be applied to your Pay In Full balance. For additional information about this benefit, call the number on the back of your Card.
Not sounding all that great if it mirrors the Platinum card, I rather it was like the CSR where it just takes just about any transit charge so you didn't have to plan and doublecheck in advance.

Really hope it's not just for resorts, rather it was just any hotel (or if one brand even) instead of this resort "type". What is on-property credit? Restaurant/spa/room service stuff? Not the actual room charges? I guess I can spend $100 of that if it'll get credited back.

Great that they finally dropped that fx. Diamond benefits seem a bit better overseas from my limited experience and I mainly use my awards overseas. But not really a huge difference in the states. Rumored Diamond+ may dilute (but who knows) so this current Diamond status could be the new Gold. Free weekend night is great since IHG and Hyatt gives you a free night (though the annual fee are much lower and Hyatt somewhat limited to 1-4 hotels).

So overall more an OK card, not a no-brainer in my eyes. From this news, I'll prob just stick with my surpass/ascend and CSR unless they clarify/loosen what it appears to be pretty strict credits.