FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Class of Service Downgrade Due to Equipment Change on Paid Itinerary Question
Old Oct 31, 2017, 3:52 am
Joe1690

Programs: AA (Exec Plat), ANA (Plat), Club Carlson (Gld), Hilton (Diamond), IHG (Plat), SPG (Gld)
Class of Service Downgrade Due to Equipment Change on Paid Itinerary Question

I purchased a flight from EWR to BKK for December 2017 back in May 2017 on Cathay Pacific through an online travel agency in premium economy. My flight which is only a little over a month from now has just recently changed from a A350 to a 777W with the regional business class and coach. Cathay Pacific has decided to downgrade me from PE to coach since the route no longer offers PE.

What recourse do I have with Cathay Pacific since I expect they owe me some compensation since they downgraded to the HKG-BKK segment from PE to coach? I also realize that they rarely help customers who have booked with online TAs but was curious before I reach out to Cathay Pacific to see what in fact should be the minimum remedy I should expect. Part of the issue is that while they have booked me into Y instead of E I no longer earn the 50% EQM on AA for that segment.

As a OneWorld emerald I would have expected Cathay Pacific to upgrade me to business class since it is still available for the segment. I have never in the past seen an airline downgrade a customer when a higher class of service is available after an equipment change but obviously it does happen.