FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The Oncologist Stops Me Flying!
View Single Post
Old Oct 30, 2017, 5:48 pm
nlkm9

Programs: Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by PeacefulWaters
I've had a ball this year. Lots of short haul flights on budget airlines. Priority Pass lounge access. I discovered Ljublana which is a magnificent place.

Flew first class when cashing in the Avios. After all you can't take them with you. Concorde room. Boston Lounge. Treats for me.

I regained Silver thanks to Iberia and a £1,300 business class route to Chile. Oh, and LATAM getting me to Easter Island.

My first ever upgrade at the gate from LHR to LAS. More exciting than the mediocre service but there are worse things to worry about.

And just as I'm pondering my Ashes trip, with already booked Qatar flights out of Helsinki, enjoying posh seats on A380, A330 and A789, the bullet hits.

My previous cancer drug failed me. My new one is untested. Medical advice is not to travel. I could ignore, but I know in truth that I'm weak. The initial effects of the new drug tire me. The oncologist cites infection risk, drug failure risk, leg break risk (it started in the lung but it's got the bones) as reasons not to travel.

So, I'm stuck with BT sport, 120,000 Avios I can't fly with and Silver status that I can't use.

While it would be something of a shock if I'm still here for the next Ashes tour, there are new treatments in development.

Regardless, thanks to those who've helped make posh seat flying possible for me. You've contributed to a fun year despite the diagnosis and prognosis.

https://davestringertravels.com/2017...r-nine-months/

wishing you the very best !!