FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Crossing the line? Rights of UA passenger when animals are on the flight.
Old Oct 28, 2017, 10:14 am
surram

Programs: UA Plat, Mil Miler, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, National Exec. Elite, Hertz Prez Circle
Crossing the line? Rights of UA passenger when animals are on the flight.

Hello all,
I want to share my experience on flight UA1137 from LGA-DEN on 25-OCT-2017. Please see attached two pictures. No identifiable (facial) information there for privacy.

Considering the length of the segment (approx 4.5 hours) I upgraded my flight with an RPU to First Class. However, the passenger next to me, I believe, really crossed the line by bringing in a large, furry pet dog masquerading as a service dog, which was intruding my space, sniffing, sneezing, shivering, making some weird noises, and trying to lick me. You can tell it is an untrained dog and not really a service animal. In the past, I have had experience with genuine passengers bring in genuine service animals notably in the bulkhead seats and have had no problems whatsoever travelling along them. They were well trained, docile, and does not try to interfere other people's space. However, it was not the case here. It was a REALLY BAD experience.

The passenger boarded a bit late just before boarding was complete. All other first class seats were taken as many were offered CPU. She did not have any apparent disability - she was browsing on her smart phone all throughout (not blind), listening to music (no hearing impairment), carried a huge carry on (no physical challenges).

I have a special needs disabled son, so I know a thing or two about physical and psychological disability. I am a lifelong vegetarian and an animal lover too...but when United turns a blind eye to people abusing the service dog policy by bringing in large, untrained pets as service dogs to avoid cargo hold, it is really crossing a line and when it puts my 4.5 hour journey into a terrible misery.

I hope United makes changes to its policy to stop such abuse.

thanks for your time!
Attached Images   

Last edited by surram; Oct 28, 2017 at 5:54 pm Reason: Cropped the image to further enhance privacy