FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Taxes on non-refundable tickets
View Single Post
Old Oct 28, 2017, 9:34 am
FlyingBeanCounter

huh. Interesting.

I guess they just remit that to the taxing authority? Keeping it is illegal as it is not technically revenue.

What happens if it is not in the contract of carriage like that?

Originally Posted by Often1
Presuming that OP is talking about US domestic taxes. Not sure of his source for "illegal" retention of taxes.

On a non-refundable ticket, the sale has been made and the ticket used. All of the government taxes (including things called "fees" imposed by the government) have been collected and paid by UA to the appropriate agency.

Whether you choose to physically sit in the seat which you reserved and paid for is a personal decision.
I am actually just curious in general. Not just about UA. on ULCC's I tend to find a flight for $20 or so and buy it as a backup on occasion.

The key for this as I understand it is they have to remit the collected taxes, they cannot just sit on them. You indicated above they did this, which is fine and legal.

The interesting part of this is that as a consumer in normal transactional situations, you have the right to have your taxes back if you do not commit the taxable event to incur the taxes as we are the one paying the taxes.

not super worried about it, just curious. I am also trying to reconcile what I know will cause problems in for corporate entities (forcing the payment of taxes without cause) with airline fees. admittedly airline taxes and fees are a specialty all unto their own.

One thing I think could be the case is that the law requires taxes paid on any fare - flown or not. So, for UA to keep the fare they have to also remit the taxes. That seems odd as a canceled/missed flight had no taxable event but stranger things happen.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Oct 28, 2017 at 10:47 am Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member