FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Family vacation options from NYC?
View Single Post
Old Jun 8, 2004, 10:14 am
Viajero Joven

Programs: MSP raised, Elite since age 17
dhacker, how many miles are you planning to burn???

Let me assume some things....

1. You want to fly coach to maximize remaining benefit.

2. You would rather stretch the 280k over 2 trips instead of just 1.

Given that....

3. I'll consider options for 2 sets of 4- 35k tickets.

Now, I don't know how you're getting from DC to NYC, but I would prefer to overnight somewhere on the return to be able to fly into DC vs. fly to NYC and have to ground transfer back to DC.

So, saying that..................

One challenge re. schedules and GlobalPass is it's hard to connect from DC south of Central America in one day---- however, the early early LACSA JFK-SJO flight leaves early enough to make quick SJO connections.

The 35k award is good for Central America, plus Ecuador, Colombia, and Venezuela--- I would strongly recommend you check out one of those places. Remember you can use up to 2 partner carriers, meaning you have the Avianca and Aeropostal domestic systems at your disposal.-- and with a 2pm LACSA arrival into BOG and a 3:15pm departure from BOG (or a 3:30pm LACSA arrival in CCS and a 4:25pm departure), you'd have enough time to connect on and back.

I would try to hit someplace you can't easily get to otherwise with other mileage programs--- I'm thinking something off the beaten path like Curacao; Margarita Island, Venezuela; Medellin or Barranquila, Colombia... along those lines. For return connections, fly as far as SJO in one day, overnight, then from SJO via SAL to IAD the following day. Remember that SJO airport taxes are much cheaper than SAL, so for 4 people, I would prefer the SJO overnight.

Just a few thoughts. I'm trying hard to find an AeroPostal route map.....