FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Hilton Paris Opera {FRA} (France)
View Single Post
Old Oct 26, 2017, 2:26 pm
Andriyko

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by hugolover
You can’t fault anything but your two visits to the lounge were underwhelming and you didn’t find the F&B to be good at all? That’s quite a criticism even if you didn’t intend to eat there.
I probably should have made it clear that I don't normally go to lounges as I like food and I know that I won't find good food there. As you can see from my review, I only ate at the restaurants on property, and I only stopped by the lounge to check it out. And, I did not find F&B not good at all. I did not want to eat there because I knew that I'd have dinner in the restaurant.
Underwhelming compared to the breakfast room or the restaurant? Yes. But disappointing? No. The breakfast spread was limited compared to the breakfast room. Given that I had a choice between the breakfast room and the lounge, I chose the former for the greater selection. The lounge only had scrambled eggs, ham, cheese, smoked salmon, pastries, yogurts, cereal, while the breakfast room had a much bigger selection. The lounge did not even have beans, which I love.
The evening selection was a typical offer - quite good actually. But, once again, it was the typical fare of some salads, greasy hot dishes, and OK wine/spirits. I would not book an Executive room for the lounge. I would only book it for a bigger room, which is what I did (as I have lounge access anyway). If I had not been Diamond and booked an Executive room I would have totally been happy with breakfast in the lounge. But I would never count on the lounge for dinner. So, it depends, I guess, what one is looking for. I saw people making dinner out of what was available but I wanted to go down to Le Grand Salone and have a nice steak. For someone looking to not spend a lot of money the lounge would be totally fine, but for someone who want to have a nice evening meal no lounge is good enough. Compared to lounges at Hilton Vienna (Stadtpark) or Hilton Berlin or Hilton Amsterdam, this one is on the same level.
For my needs I could not fault anything. I like it when a hotel has a lounge but I almost never partake because I know that it'll never be anything like a restaurant food. I just have a quick drink there. But I don't think that anyone who is looking to eat in a lounge there and knows that it will be lounge food would be disappointed.

Originally Posted by hugolover
Do you recommend not to book Exec here for the lounge?
Unfortunately, I can't answer that question as we all look for different things in a hotel. I just posted my review, and then tried to explain what I am looking for in a hotel so that people can make their own minds. Given that I have never eaten dinner (or even breakfast) in the lounge I would not know what a point of reference would be. I only stopped by there for the purposes of the review. I saw that the selection was more limited than that in the restaurant, which is why I said that it was underwhelming but it may be excellent or OK compared to other lounges. As I said - I would not book an Exec room solely for the lounge. At any hotel. But at many hotels Exec rooms are standard rooms on a higher floor with lounge access, here Exec rooms are actually bigger and nicer.

I hope I answered your questions as clearly as I could. But please ask any other questions you have. I would be happy to answer them

Last edited by Andriyko; Oct 27, 2017 at 2:42 am