FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Two very different First flights.
View Single Post
Old Oct 26, 2017, 7:01 am
London32

Programs: BAEC Gold
Two very different First flights.

Hello there,

I thought I'd share some observations from a couple of First flights my husband and I recently completed.

We're very lucky to travel premium cabins regularly. As an avid reader here, I have noticed the bashing BA have (rightly or wrongly) received in recent times. I get it and we've experienced lots of things people have been talking about. You can see service and standards depleting which is a shame. To be honest, we have taken AA, QR or QF flights as an alternative to BA because we know we'll receive a better standard of service and seat when flying East or to Oz.

However, we fly fairly regularly to the US so our options are limited when we're wanting to burn Avios, use a GUF or a BA voucher. This brings me to our recent trip two weeks ago.

LHR - MIA

Whilst the Cathay first class lounge is lovely and a nice way to start the trip, it isn't the CCR (which we prefer). What a shame this route moved terminals. The flight itself was poor, don't get me wrong, I really like the A380 but my crew member in First really let the product down. First of all, we were told to 'go left' when we entered the plane (no problem, I don't need to be shown to my seat), no offer of a drink when I sat down, I had to ask and then ask for an amenity kit and PJs (I was tired after an early start so I wanted to sleep for a few hours). I know it's a day flight but these things should be offered, as standard, regardless. When I did ask, I was given a nonplussed reaction... almost a shrug of the shoulders that I dare ask.

The drink came.

We take off, I watch a movie, the crew member then arrives with my meal and I'm pretty much forced to eat it immediately. Oh, and ask for another drink.

The food is ok, bland but fine.

Plates, cutlery, and paraphernalia cleared. My glass was also taken away. No offer of a refill. After 20 or 30 minutes, I press my call button, nothing. I then head to the galley and ask for another drink, I get an eye-roll (I've had two drinks btw, hardly smashed out of my face that warrants an eye roll). The drink arrives and it goes down well. I feel like a naughty child for daring to ask so I didn't bother with another.

After watching a film, I doze and decide to ask for my bed to be made. I wait, and wait, and wait... this then happens. After two hours of sleeping (it's very easy on the A380) - I change back into my day clothes and head back to my seat. The bed is still made up, not the end of the world, I clear it myself. It then sits rolled up above the wardrobe until just before landing. It was ignored for about two hours. I'm feeling risky, so I ask for a glass of fizz.

Before I'm lambasted, I'm not hard to please and I'm more than capable of waiting and/or doing things myself. This isn't the issue. The issue is paying (revenue or avios) for First class and receiving an extremely poor service. We've always been lucky to have received wonderful service but this flight was extremely poor and a real eye-opener.

MIA - LHR

A completely different experience. Granted the lounge options aren't great (until the AA flagship opens next month) and we generally use the Centurion lounge which is often full to the rafters (though a nice space), we also tend to avoid the rubbish BA lounge.

Yes, the 747 is cramped and a little tatty but the flight was excellent. The cabin crew were brilliant, they couldn't do more whilst keeping the service relaxed and flowing nicely. Food served when I wanted, drinks poured within seconds of finishing... even asking if I wanted more food once finished. The bed was made up quickly and taken away within minutes of me changing for landing. All in all, what you'd expect for such a flight.

The reason I'm writing this; well, an interesting contrast and a word of caution to anyone who may think First class means First class. We have another F return to NYC in December so it'll be interesting to see the experience(s) there but as a staunch BA fan... my attitude on loyalty is certainly changing.

Last edited by London32; Oct 26, 2017 at 7:32 am