FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Singapore St Regis [Master Thread]
View Single Post
Old Oct 25, 2017, 1:03 pm
bhrubin
Suspended

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by chad75
Also there is absolutely nothing luxury about the St Regis Singapore.
I'm aware that the StR isn't among the best hotels here in the Singapore market.

I'm also aware that none of the best hotels in this market are considered particularly impressive compared with other hoteks from within the same brands, either--the MO isn't a great example for MO, the RC isn't a great example for RC, etc. But even Forbes includes the StR as among its recommended hotels (but not among its many 4 star or few 5 star properties).

So it goes without saying that none of the "luxury" hotels in Singapore are considered amazing by most. When that's true for the supposed top hotels, too, as it is here, you need to evaluate with perspective. Few herein seem to do that. This is similar to those slamming the W South Beach...without realizing that it's as much about the weak service standard and culture throughout all of South Florida and the Caribbean--at all luxury hotels, for the most part--as it is about the W brand.

Luxury is always in the eye of the beholder. For some in this forum, luxury is about a bigger room, a prettier room, a Plat upgrade, or Plat complimentary drinks. For others, myself included, luxury is about nice rooms, excellent service, and great food/beverage. Luxury by hotel standards is often as much about the average daily room rate as anything else.

I think too many Plats in this thread are confusing what makes a good/luxury hotel and what their Platinum benefits entitle them to during their stay. There's a difference.