FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The 2017 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation EC261/2004
Old Oct 25, 2017, 8:21 am
corporate-wage-slave
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by BobServant
I was called to the desk in the lounge about an hour before departure - broken seat in full F cabin. Flight was West Coast USA to London.
OK, that's a lot clearer. So that distance and circumstance puts you into the 75% league for EC261 downgrade refunds, and yes the carrier surcharge should be refunded at 75% too. The Mennens case should give you the EC261 formula, BA also has internal "involuntary refund" calculation which sometimes is more generous than EC261 but if I were to speculate here (without knowing the precise amounts) then it's likely to be a 50-50 call as to which is the more generous. I presume you specifically asked for the EC261 refund on the ticket?

So what I would do while waiting - and yes this does take a ridiculous amount of time - is to calculate quite precisely what the EC261 amount should be, then when BA have completed the refund process you can work out if you were diddled or not.