Old Oct 21, 17, 1:55 pm
brewdog11

Programs: AA EXP, IHG PLT, Hilton Gold, Amtrak, WN
I'm not an AA apologist by any means, but I think they handled this well given the circumstances. I'm impressed that AA actually had the decency to call and work out things ahead of time. This could have been a nasty little surprise at the airport, and you likely would have had significantly fewer options available to you. This sucks and feels wrong on so many levels, I know, but I think AA at least handled it well. The two $500 eVouchers were an incredibly nice gesture, as well, IMHO.

What I'm confused about is why the "extra pilot" couldn't fly in a Y seat. Did the crew member have an immediate turn, or did AA accidentally sell a crew rest seat in the J cabin? I've flown next to deadheading pilots in MCE on the DFW-HKG flight who were piloting the aircraft to DFW the next day. I'd guess this would be more of a FAM/"security" issue than an "extra pilot" issue, but that's just my theory.

Unfortunately, sometimes this is the way it goes on an award ticket. It happened to me at the gate before as an EXP on an AAnytime award. I was flying MSY-MIA-MAD, and the MSY-MIA flight was oversold by two. My companion and I were essentially told to cooperate and accept new arrangements if we wanted to fly to MAD in J that day. Of course, our bags didn't get the memo.

Originally Posted by rjw242 View Post
Agreed, $1000 in credit is fantastic compensation for what amounts to a minor inconvenience.
+1. I've been told to basically pound sand before as an EXP.