FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Vacation to the West (AMS-LAS//LAS-BDL//DCA-AMS - AA, AY, BA, DL, 4B, mostly J)
Old Oct 21, 2017, 11:09 am
palmanfr

Programs: AF/KL Plat, BA Gold, A3 Gold, IHG Diamond, MR Gold, HH Diamond, ALL Platinum
The underground ride to my hotel near London City took about an hour and half, in more or less crowded trains… I wish a more convenient way to connect between airports would exist, like a coach. The good point is that I was able to travel from Heathrow to London City for just 5.10 pounds…

I decided to stay for that night at the Moxy London Excel. This new brand from Marriott targets the millenials in a hipster decor. For only 78 GBP a night (flexible rate – which is quite cheap by London standards), with breakfast included, and being myself only 32 years old, I decided to give a try. It is located 5 walking minutes away from the DLR station Royal Albert Hall, near a few other hotels. As soon as you entered the hotel, you could see what is the targetted audience. The lobby was looked very industrial and trendy, and the reception was actually the bar… The latter was surrounded by multiple snacks and beverages for sale. A common area next to the reception, with a fussball table, some computers, and lounge chairs was available.

Moxy by Marriott London Excel lobby

The room in itself was modern as the hotel opened recently, and featured a large flat screen TV and a lounge chair. The bathroom was minimalistic but was clean and functional. I liked the fact multiple power plugs (EU and UK) and USB sockets were available in different locations. However, I felt the cleanliness of the towels and bedsheets could have been better. This is one of my pet peeves and one of the first things I check when I enter in a hotel room. I slept fairly well and unlike the previous night was not so disturbed by the aircraft noises.

Moxy by Marriott London Excel queen room

The breakfast was ok, although on the minimalistic side and also quite confusing as all the breakfast items were split across the bar area, with products on sale in between.

LCY Departures board at the hotel lobby