FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Rio to Ilha Grande to Iguazu Falls
View Single Post
Old Oct 20, 2017, 9:16 am
KDS777

Programs: Lost it all and don't care
Originally Posted by VidaNaPraia
What I was referring to is damage to the car, a scrape for example, or dent, done by someone who was not seen. (This is something you would pay for in the U.S., even in 'no fault' states, up to your deductable.) So when you return the car, both you and the rental agency rep see the damage, and stipulate to it.
You go home.
The rental agency charges whatever rate they see fit to repair the damage at their shop of choice. It is charged to your credit card, the slip for which you have signed when picking up the car.
Does your credit card company know the 'average' price of said repair in another country? Do they have any rep in the country to research? Are they willing to go to the mat to prove the charges are overblown?

The big question: Can you read the detailed small print multiple pages in Portuguese that states what is and is not covered by insurance you buy/have, etc.
Yes, that is what I was referring to as well. Every rental car I have used in Brasil has cosmetic damage on "almost" every single panel when I sign it out, and when returning them, anything minor accumulated on the trip is overlooked as well. Obviously something major is another story, but then again, it doesn't matter what country you are in at that point.

Using AMEX is the way to go. I've only disputed two charges in my 34 year membership, but both were 4 figure charges, and both went in my favor. They have more statistical experience than any of us in being able to determine who's right and who's wrong when it comes down to it. AMEX security even e-mailed me that Hertz was trying to charge the camera ticket to an expired card one year later, and that they would not process the charge to my current account number unless I authorized it.

While I have read the contract, and understood it (using the PF website when processing my VIPER was much more difficult, but it wasn't a language thing, it was their incessant bureaucracy that drove me nuts), I doubt some posters here can do the same, which is why you should use your AMEX. Now, if you are concerned in any way, just pay for all the CDW waivers you want and problem solved........expensively.

Originally Posted by iah/pdx
The preceding comments illustrate everything that's difficult about planning a trip to Brazil. One person says something is safe; another says it is not. It's really hard to know
True 'dat.........and in any country too. Right ?

I mean, try driving in LA for the first time, and being worried you'll take a wrong turn off the freeway into Compton. I sure was. Our heading to the south side of Chicago when I missed the "one" ORD turnoff coming into the city from Wisconsin, etc.

I've been to Rio 43-44 times now. Always stayed 2-3 weeks at a time, and just got back from my most recent trip Saturday. My perspective has changed dramatically in that time, as would anyone's who has participated in as many recurring visits to one place over a decade or so as I have. So what I post reflects the comfort level I currently have, and a new traveler would not.

I will say this, my first 1-2 trips I was terrified because of what I read online. I now get mistaken for a local when out on the street.

You'll notice that the others who either live there or have been there, did not refute my suggested route for you to get out of the city quickly from GIG, and with a minimum of fuss.

All megacities are dangerous and confusing the first few times you go there. Balance out your comfort level from your past trips around the world with this new one, and proceed accordingly.

Originally Posted by VidaNaPraia
Drive only during the day.
Do not leave the main highway except to enter a rest stop/roadside restaurant or the sure turnoff for your destination. (Take snacks and water for more time than you think you'll be on the road in the heat.)
Do not stop on the side of the road for any reason, even, or especially, if the highway looks deserted.
Do not expect any type of roadside assistance in case of a breakdown or even loss of a key.
For example.......I break all these suggestions all the time........this was for IAH/PDX's benefit. All car rental companies have toll free numbers for roadside assistance. Just don't expect it to be timely, or shiny, like in North America. Or expect cell service.

I am not going to say "DON'T DO IT", mainly, because I've done it, and secondly, because I don't know you personally and how comfortable and/or adventuresome you are when it comes to world travel.

Last edited by KDS777; Oct 20, 2017 at 9:47 am