FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Italy Itinerary Advice - Aug 18 - Big Ticket Attractions
Old Oct 18, 2017, 6:23 pm
Perche

Programs: AA EXP >4 MM, Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by Annalisa12
Thanks for that thought. I'm pondering what to do. On a good day I can go slowly for half a day with rests.

How spread out are thr things to see in Venice?
Venice is small. If I don't stop and don't get lost I can walk from one end to the other in a little over 30 minutes. You should be fine. When I am not in a hurry it can take me 4 hours to walk from one end to the other, stopping to eat in bars for cicchetti along the way. And there are the vaporetti (water buses) that can take you pretty close to anywhere you want to go. Most of the bridges are just 5-10 steps, and in many areas they have ramps. There is even a Venetian website that provides directions on how to get around if you are in a wheelchair and cannot walk at all.

Once again, Venice was just voted the most beautiful city in the world. https://www.themeshnews.com/top-10-m...he-world-2016/

You don't go there to "see things." When you are in Venice you are seeing the most beautiful work of art in the history of mankind, which is the city itself. When I am there I might check to see what music is playing at La Fenice, or if there is something interesting at Teatro Malibran, or if there is an intriguing art show, or some good chamber music somewhere.

Other than that, you don't really have to see, "attractions," in Venice. Basically, if you stay away from Piazza San Marco or the Rialto Bridge (except for early in the morning or late at night, you are literally walking around in the best work of art ever made by mankind. You should probably visit Piazza San Giovanni e Paulo, Santa Maria Formosa, Via Garibaldi, stop on to of the Accademia Bridge, and get lost for a little while in Dorsoduro or San Polo.

I would say there is only one, "don't miss," attraction. That is to take the #1 vaporetto down the Grand Canal at night. I don't think there is anybody who wouldn't agree that the Grand Canal is the prettiest main street in the world. Just don't get on it at Piazza San Marco. It will already be full. You must sit or stand outside in order to enjoy it. By the time you get to San Marco it will be full, and they'll just make you sit inside where you can't see anything.

Try to get on at Sant'Elena or Giardini, in the evening, and chances are you can score one of the outside seats in the front of the boat, and will have the most beautiful ride of your life. There are also some outside seats in the back, and they are just as good. Try also not just doing it in the evening instead of the day, and getting on before the crowds pack on at San Marco, but also try to do it when it is not Friday or Saturday to be more likely to get an outside seat. If you do not, then just stand. No matter how many times the person running the boat tells you to go inside, (where you can't see anything), just ignore him or her. If you don't stand in the way, they won't really bother you.

The #1 vaporetto at night is the only, "must do" attraction. The rest is just walking around the most beautiful city in the world, as long as it is in the opposite direction from San Marco Square and Rialto, unless it is before 9AM or after 9PM.

Venice is also ranked as the 11th best city for food in all of Europe, two spots behind Paris. It is, however, loaded with tourist trap restaurants. To eat at any authentic restaurant you must have a reservation. You don't have to worry about that until a month or two before, but keep this in mind.