FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - [Consolidated] Chance of upgrade clearing on my flight {Archive}
Old Oct 18, 2017, 3:34 pm
findark
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by gadgetfreaky
also - Isn't the point of paying 56k for a full ticket is I am above the GPUs? Why do you say they would upgrade before me since I paid techinically full fare. Seems dumb to do then since there would almost always be lots of elites on long international flights.
As noted by Kacee 57.5k miles is far from a good value for UA - they would be booked internally as $575 which is less than many Economy tickets, not including the upgrade instruments supporting them.

Originally Posted by gadgetfreaky
I was told by the supervisor I cleared ahead of them - are you sure you are even right that GPUs clear above this strategy? Otherwise as you point out it would be entirely pointless on long haul international routes.
Prior to the gate, you are waitlisted for I class. This is an inferior inventory class to R, so in essence you are "behind" anyone who is waitlisted for R class and thus behind all supported upgrades of any flavor.

It's UAs choice to prioritize upgrades over Saver mileage tickets, but I think it pans out in a cost/benefit analysis.

At the gate, you will be added to the upgrade standby list when you check in. This priority will be used by the GA right before boarding only; prior to that you still clear from the waitlist (and on domestic flights can be jumped by CPUs). Your place on this waitlist is uncertain; I have seen things in this thread to suggest placement either ahead of or behind all supported upgrade requests.

Last edited by findark; Oct 19, 2017 at 1:46 am