FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Your guide to spending Avios | 2017 edition
Old Oct 17, 2017, 3:48 am
pauldb

Programs: BA, IHG, 5C
Originally Posted by Godot
OK so I'm looking to book the following using avios and a companion voucher:

2x return flights from LHR to [US airport redacted] in J (or F if available), departing 26/10/18, returning 03/11/18

My understanding is that the best thing to do will be to book the first leg online at 1am UK time on 5/11/17, and then ring the call centre to add the return leg on 13/11/17 (either phone an overseas call centre at 1am or the UK one when it opens).

If anyone could confirm that this is the best way to do it and my dates/times are correct it'd be very reassuring - first time using a companion voucher and my dates aren't very flexible so hoping to grab what I'm after.
Nearly right!

Firstly it will be the 6th Nov for your first flight and the 14th for your inbound. As of today you can book the 6th Oct, so you need to tick forward 20 days, taking you to 6th Nov.

Secondly the key time is 12am GMT. Currently on BST that's 1am UK time, but the clocks change shortly to GMT+0 so in November you'll have to book at 12am UK time. For the avoidance of doubt that means staying up late on 5/11, not staying up late on 6/11!

Last edited by pauldb; Oct 17, 2017 at 4:33 am