FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Buying Money Orders at Western Union
View Single Post
Old Oct 16, 2017, 7:33 pm
jnjustice

Originally Posted by noassumptions
WU is a MO issuer and competes with the smaller MG. Maybe stand-alone WU locations exist somewhere, but my city only has WU agents (sellers) in convenience stores, check cashing joints, liquor stores, etc. The only chains I run into with WU are Vons/Safeway and 7-11. The hard part is finding any of these that will accept anything but cash for MO. It has happened occasionally, so I don't think WU hard codes to prevent it.

I don't see any functional difference between WU and MG MO's. The difference just lies in where you buy them.

At one Stop-N-Rob store I asked the clerk if he could take debit for a WU MO. He put one hand below the counter, stared at me for a long time, eventually said "maybe", continued staring. I decided just to get a coke, paid with cash. Call me a wimp if you like, but MS is enough fun without getting ventilated for fumbling a card.
When I worked at Kroger it was the store POS that limited what could be accepted to pay for a MO transaction.

WU does not limit this as the WU terminal is not connected to the Kroger POS in anyway.