FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - "Stupid or shocking" travel / geography related things you just learned about
Old Oct 15, 2017, 12:53 pm
EqualOpp

Programs: whatever it takes
"Stupid or shocking" travel / geography related things you just learned about

Appalachian Mountains

Born in the Midwest, but lived most of my adult life on West Coast of USA. So I have traveled to various points in the East (of Mississippi), but outside of select places, the geography is not as familiar to me as say the Western USA. Though I did drive through many Eastern states when I went from Boston to Florida then crossing back to the West Coast as part of a 3-month road trip around the USA.

So anyway... this is a thread to share places (anywhere in the world) that - to you - seem shocking in the sense of -- "oh, I didn't know that, now I feel stupid." Include things you knew, but - "didn't really realize."

I say the Eastern part of the USA, geographically, is mostly flat (And boring)...and the mountains there aren't very tall, relatively speaking. After all I did drive on the Blue Ridge Parkway and wasn't overly impressed. Being used to 10,000+ feet mountains in CA and WA.

http://www.blueridgeparkwaydaily.com...elevation-map/

Not sure how much of it I drove on or what the highest part was....but after doing some more recent research, I think I have underestimated the Appalachians in both beauty and size. Surely my perspective has changed over time in what I appreciate too.

So -- I didn't realize there were so many mid-size peaks in the Appalachians -noted below. And places which appear to be quite scenic. Lake Placid being one below. Other views in Maine seem enticing as well.

"The summit of North Carolina’s Mt. Mitchell is the highest in the east, at 6,684 feet. It’s followed closely by nearby Mt. Craig (6,647 feet), Clingman’s Dome (6,643 feet, Tennessee/North Carolina), Mt. Guyot (6,621 feet, North Carolina), Balsam Cone (6,611 feet, North Carolina), Mt. LeConte (6,593 feet, Tennessee), Mt. Gibbes (6,571 feet, North Carolina), Potato Hill (6,475 feet, North Carolina), Mt. Chapman (6,417 feet, North Carolina/Tennessee) and Richland Balsam (6,410 feet, North Carolina)."

Source:

So..that's my stupid mea culpa for today.

Last edited by EqualOpp; Oct 15, 2017 at 1:01 pm Reason: grammar fix