FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Any problem with a teenager unaccompanied through security?
Old Oct 15, 2017, 8:18 am
MSPeconomist
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Often1
If he has valid ID such as a passport, no issue at all. If not, then call WN. TSA punts to te carrier.

TSA does not require children under 18 to provide identification when traveling with a companion within the United States. Contact the airline for questions regarding specific ID requirements for travelers under 18.
This says that TSA doesn't require ID when the kid under 18 is traveling with someone. It doesn't say anything about the case of the OP, where the kid is traveling alone.

I'd had difficulty with some TSA agents not recognizing or accepting GE cards, despite it being on the official list. They apparently don't see GE cards often as ID. Therefore, I would suggest getting the kid a passport card if this can be done before the date of departure.

I'd also give the kid a notarized letter giving permission to travel, ideally signed by both parents, with contact information for parents as well as the trusted adult dropping him off at the airport. It could also state the circumstances such as the conference in Florida.

BTW, in case of emergency, they kid should also have a working cell phone with roaming enabled and some sort of credit card that can be used to buy food etc.