FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - New to points hobby, advice for an infrequent flyer
Old Oct 14, 2017, 12:07 pm
frha01

Programs: AY+
Originally Posted by r2d2
So go and check travel dates that have the 1199 € fare available (to Bangkok, it is only available on departures from Monday to Thursday). The offer is valid until the end of June 2018, so you can book it even for the beginning of next year's summer holiday season (that's what I did).

Then pick a destination in Southeast Asia or Ocenia where you would like to go. Use a search engine to search for flights between Bangkok and your selected destination.
Brillant! Your explanation made me consider another option: picking a separate ticket from Guangzhou (CAN) to Hong Kong (HKG) via Cathaypacific.

Finnair flight departs from Helsinki (HEL) on May 9 at 16:50 and arrives at 07:30 +1. Cathaypacific offers two departure flights from CAN : 1/ 09:55, 2/ 22:20.

Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
Pick your destination and make sure you have enough time to connect - in BKK I would not take anything less than 3 hrs after the ETA of AY.
Is it the minimum time you would spare for any connecting flight booked on a separate ticket, or is it specific to BKK ? Flying with or without checked-in luggage(s) ?

Anyone with an experience from the custom and security at CAN ?

Many thanks guys for all you help, you make this discussion forum incredibly addictive!