FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Seat Swapping, Seat Poaching and Seating Etiquette: The Definitive Thread
Old Oct 13, 2017, 10:57 pm
GatorBlues

Programs: Delta Diamond; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by PTravel
Ah, now you're catching on. I expect them to leave me alone and not ask. Why in the world would you think it's remotely acceptable to bother someone with headphones on and eyes closed?

RUDE people are going to ask in those circumstances. That's the whole point. There is no RIGHT to have a swap request heard. I don't need to make myself available to you so that you can ask me for a favor.

No, it isn't. There is no right to go around pestering people about changing seats. 99.9% of people board a plane, take their assigned seats, and then go about their business without bothering anyone else.

That's essentially correct.

Are you serious? Really, in what world do you think it's acceptable to bother someone who's trying to sleep so you can ask them for a favor that, among other things, will require that they put all their gear away, get up and move somewhere else IF they agree?
The entire notion of you trying to sleep is an awfully convenient way to frame the issue. We are to believe that every time you set foot on an airplane, you immediately start dozing off as the rest of the plane is still boarding, announcements are being made, people are jostling luggage, etc. You must be in a window seat every time for this to be even remotely believable given that all of us regularly get bumped repeatedly with roller bags, backpacks and purses as the lower boarding zones file past us in aisles barely wide enough for supermodels. Even in a window seat, it's implausible most of the time.

Originally Posted by PTravel
Honestly, if I was just dozing off and you tapped my shoulder and said, "Excuse me, but would you change seats with me so I can sit next to my?" my response wouldn't be polite and, probably, would include a threat to have the FA notify the police and have you arrested if you touched me again.
Threatening arrest because someone tapped you on the shoulder while boarding is still underway is patently absurd behavior. That's not to say that one should interrupt someone who is sleeping. They shouldn't -- although, again, the I'm always dozing off immediately when I sit down defense rings hollow. But even if you were dozing off, your response would be an incredible overreaction.

By all means, keep posting your thoughts. You're simply proving that our characterization of the crux of your opinions -- characterizations with which you took such umbrage just a few posts ago -- are "dead on balls accurate." ("It's an industry term.") Plus, you don't want to let Proudelitist be the most memorable person in this thread.

Last edited by GatorBlues; Oct 13, 2017 at 11:09 pm