FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - BW now a AVIOS partner with BA
View Single Post
Old Oct 12, 2017, 12:14 pm
sdsearch
FlyerTalk Evangelist

But whether's it's better totally depends on how much use you have for BA Avios and how much use you have for BW points.

BA Avios is a very poor program for doing longhaul business class OW redemptions, compared to, say AA. BA Avios works best for nonstop (or close to that) longhaul economy redemptions (which I never do) or shorthaul redemptions (which are hard for me to find in cases where they're not cheap with cash anyway).

And there are lots of ways to collect Avios, but very few ways to collect BW points other than stays.

Meanwhile, I often go to somewhat "remote" areas (far away from "cities" but near national parks or other outdoor attractions) where BW can be the only hotel program around! In those case, BW points can be invaluable IME. (But if you only travel to big cities where there are lots of hotel programs around, I can see how you could look at BW in a completely different way.)

And it depends what you mean by "in Europe" and on what you're doing "in Europe". There are places in Western Fjords region of Norway (inland along the fjords themselves) where the only chain hotels you'll find are either Best Western (in some places) or [Nordic] Choice (in other places). So I find Best Western very useful "in Europe", because remote locations along the Western Fjords of Norway are some of my favorite locations "in Europe". Similarly, I wanted to visit Netherlands a couple years ago mostly to go see windmills near small towns, and I found Best Western better than most other programs for basing in small town near enough to some windmill sites and getting free parking. All the other chains only had hotels in the middle of big cities, and charged for parking. And Netherlands is certainly "in Europe" as well.

Last edited by sdsearch; Oct 12, 2017 at 12:20 pm