FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Buy on board: Experiences and reactions from BA's shorthaul economy service
Old Oct 8, 2017, 3:31 am
BA6948

Programs: Executive Club: Gold - Flying Blue: Gold
Originally Posted by 2sawn
So I guess this whole BA BoB thing has been going on since the beginning of the year. miamiflyer8 wrote the quote above last January. However, unlike former US Airways, nothing has changed on BA since they initiated this BoB program. I guess all the BA passengers and the FAs are ok with this change and this really is the future of BA? Maybe the 10% commission earned by the FA team is exciting kto them?j

I was a US Airways Chariman's for several years. Ever since the merger, I've been an American Airlines Executive Platinum, which translates to Emerald in One World (but I'm sure most people on here know that). It's very sad to travel Euro Traveller on BA now and feel like I'm flying on Allegiant or Spirit Airlines in the USA. I have personally only flown a flight on Allegiant once & I will never do it again. I've also never flown on the European budget airlines like Ryan Air, Norwegian, Wow and Wizz. However, I suppose I now know how it feels like after my BA LHR-ATH R/T flight I took within the last few weeks. The total time from take off to landing is almost 4 hours so it's not that short a flight.

I had to take a medication onboard at a certain time. I was not really thirsty since I had just spent 8 hours in the BA Galleries First lounge after my flight to Europe was delayed. I asked the FA for a glass of ice onboard so I could take the medication. She told me she could not give it to me because BA only provides them with a limited supply of ice. I guess the whole One World Emerald status thing means absolutely nothing to BA if I'm flying behind the curtain. On AA, they offer me a free alcoholic drink and a snack when I'm in Economy. It makes me feel special :-) In Economy, AA now even serves a small snack (pretzels or cookie) in addition to the free non-alcoholic beverage for free. Wow, how such a little, non-expensive item can change a passenger's entire perception of an airline! On AY (Finnair), the FAs have recognized my status and offered me a drink of my choice onboard. On every Cathay Pacific or Cathay Dragon flight I've flown in Economy, the lead FA always goes out of his/her way to greet me at the beginning of the flight. She or he tells me to let them know if there is anything they can do to make my onboard experience more pleasant. These other One World airline experiences are such a stark contrast to the BA FA who made me feel so lowly while aboard their plane. How dare I ask for a cup of ice! Maybe she felt I was trying to "cheat" the system. I used to think BA was one of the most decent airline options in Europe for short haul, but not anymore. I thought those Pam Ann BA FA comedy sketches were an exaggeration but maybe it's really closer to the truth nowadays.
I don't know where you are based but I think you can avoid BA if you don't live in London. BA has unfortunately become an expensive budget airline with no service whatsover on shorthaul economy and a mediocre offering on longhaul economy. There are still other airlines in OneWorld that still offer a better service in Economy and a more personalized approach to Status passengers. Alrx Cruz and his gang will only react if passengers walk away and vote with their feet.