FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Extending short-stay (tourist) visa in Netherlands?
Old Oct 8, 2017, 12:18 am
Ditto

Originally Posted by SchmeckFlyer
A close family member with United States citizenship has been staying in the Netherlands with us beginning in August, and would like to stay on until December. This would result in him overstaying his Schengen tourist visa by about 20 days (he has been outside the Schengen area in the meantime)

1. What are the chances this would be a "problem" when departing from AMS? If it were a "problem" then what are the consequences?

2. Do you have any recommendations for otherwise extending the visa? We thought about either officially applying for residency (and then simply cancelling the process). Or apply for an extension based on Article 8 ECHR (to lead family/personal life).
1. The consequences could be a fine and/or a 1 year entry ban - https://ind.nl/en/Pages/entry-ban-re...irability.aspx

2. I'm not so sure what does Article 8 of ECHR have to do with a residence permit, but then I'm not pretending to be an expert on immigration rules, I would advise on carefully reviewing the IND website to find out what your options are, and/or consult with an immigration lawyer/expert.