FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Aa/ac: Lax-hkg $381-$423 rt
View Single Post
Old Oct 5, 2017, 9:53 pm
HLCinCOU

Programs: AA EXP, Bonvoy Ambassador, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Boogie711
Sure - but even United, on the SAME airframe, puts a whopping 92(!) less people in economy class on their same 777.

AC HD - 398 'Y' pax, with 6 lavs
UA 777 - 306 'Y' pax, with 6 lavs
AA 777 - 246 'Y' pax with 8 lavs
That's a really bad comparison. Looks to me like Y seats on all three are more or less equivalent. The numbers you quote are accurate...but it's the premium cabins that account for the difference.

The AC HD layout has only 28 J seats, whereas UA/AA each have 60 (including 8 F for AA). That's a huge difference in floorspace. Take a peek at the seatguru maps for the planes in question and look where the economy seating starts relative to the wing...the AC HD has about 9 rows of economy seating and 3 of premium econ forward of the first econ-plus row on UA. Those 12 rows have 114 seats. Indeed, seatguru suggests the Y cabin pitch is the same on both aircraft (31") and they're both ten across. The situation on AA is similar; economy starts even further back (due to the F cabin) and pitch is similar in Y (31-32", because consistency isn't AA's bailiwick).

Bottom line, they pack more people on the HD because they sacrificed premium seating (and lavs vs. AA), not because they made the Y seats smaller. The lavs are a drag I suppose, but unless you're angling for an upgrade I don't see a reason to say "just don't" if you're OK flying similar distances in Y on AA or UA.

Last edited by HLCinCOU; Oct 5, 2017 at 10:11 pm