FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - What logic do BA use to price cash upgrades?
Old Sep 30, 2017, 9:42 am
stevebintley

Programs: BA Gold (OW Emerald), TK Elite (*A Gold)
What logic do BA use to price cash upgrades?

I pretty much only fly economy, since I don’t have the joys of a globe-trotting job and I’d rather have more holidays a year sat at the back than fewer sat up front! However, having just completed the return KUL journey my partner has (not so) subtly pointed out that it’s worth paying a bit extra for the long ones!

So, with a quick break in December to New York, I headed straight for the app to see what upgrade options were available. Somehow I’ve booked a fare class not allowing use of Avios, so I checked out the cash options. However the choices presented for us both left me almost speechless. Ignoring Premium Economy, BA wanted just shy of £10k for business and over £42k for First!!!

What logic do they use to come up with these prices?!

Booking a new business ticket is around £5k, and First just over £6k. I know you shouldn’t take risks and should book the type of ticket you want at the outset. Sure, pay a bit more after booking for not having taken the higher class at the offset, but surely no one would pay this uplift? Especially for First?

Or is the First experience really worth almost £40 per minute, assuming you get four hours use of the lounge?! Alas, it’ll be another 11,000km somewhere well behind the engines for me!