FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - 2017 American Express Cobalt (Canada)
View Single Post
Old Sep 30, 2017, 7:11 am
yosemite1

Programs: AC Black Card, Nexus
Originally Posted by Smiley90
With MR -> SPG -> FFP you will be earning 3.125x on grocery/restaurant spend, so it's still very worth it.

MR -> SPG is 0.5 (so, 2.5X), and SPG when you transfer at least 20k, adds another 5k/25%, so 2.5X*1.25= 3.125

You'll earn more FFP (and have more partners to transfer to) than Gold/Plat on grocery/restaurant spend still.
This is amazing, exactly what I wanted to know - thank you!

...., actually, is the FFP for SPG>FFP only Delta? No AC?

Originally Posted by longtimeflyin
Sure but for things like gas, then

Amex Gold: $1 = 2MR points -> Aeroplan = 2 AP miles
Cobalt: $1= 2 MR points -> 1SPG point -> 1.25 AP miles (in 20k transfer increments)

For those that don't spend a lot on groceries/eating out then the Gold card is still a better value proposition.

AMEX fraud department called me because they said my profile didn't fit what a typical Cobalt application person sits in demographics wise. Ageism at its finest given I'm a member of the older age group.
This is really good to know, I need to evaluate my spending and see if I'll hit $500/mo on groceries/restaurants then!

Also... sorry to hear about the ageism thats no fun

Originally Posted by zwkchong
Does anyone know how the MR account will be set up if I have an existing Gold card already? It sounds like it'd be a separate MR account but is it possible to have two MR accounts with one online login?

+1 on this question, is there a visual representation for the two "tiers" of MR?