FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - 2017 American Express Cobalt (Canada)
View Single Post
Old Sep 28, 2017, 4:11 pm
yerffej201

Originally Posted by Vasco
Not going to happen. Amex Canada is very clear on that, and in my experience as a cardmember for 18 years now, they mean it.

You'll notice that the only category that they do not specifically say "in Canada" is the travel bookings. So you'll get 2 MR points per C$1 for your airplane tickets and hotel, just like the Gold Rewards card; but *not* for the Uber ride you'll take from the airport to the hotel. Nor will you get the 5 points per dollar for any restaurant spend when you are on that trip.

And this is my #1 annoyance with Amex Canada. For being a company that markets itself and its products heavily as being for world travellers, they make truly terrible cards to actually use when travelling abroad.

So I'll use my Gold Card to book my flights and hotels and get the 2/1 bonus, and I'll use my Platinum Card to access the lounges and use the concierge for special reservations along the way... but when it comes to actually paying for things? Amex is at the bottom of my list thanks to the 2.5% Forex fee and the restrictions on bonus points to only being earned IN CANADA.
AMEX USA does it the same way. For the Hilton Card, it's 6x points on US Restaurants, US Gas Stations, and US Supermarkets.