FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Can I be ordered to sit in a particular car?
Old Sep 27, 2017, 7:58 pm
diburning

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
I've had one experience on the Carolinian. There was no line to board. Everyone just crowded around the door at the gate. They boarded the ADA passengers first, then whoever was at the front was assigned a seat. The train was severely overbooked, and they only boarded a handful of people including myself before they told everyone else that they were SOL.

I was assigned a seat, and when I got there, there was a person that took up about 75% of my seat because he was so large. (I'm a slightly larger than average person myself). When the conductor came by, I asked to be moved, only to be told that there were no more seats. So, I moved to the cafe car once it opened. The conductors seemed fine with me sitting in the cafe car.

Originally Posted by octr202
Same train where I had a similar experience, albeit in Business. Assigned an aisle seat, and basically told, "that's your seat, no moving" despite there often being window seats open. Was told by the car attendant that she wouldn't allow any single travelers into window seats after the early stops "to keep the doubles open." After that, I decided the inflexibility probably rendered BC worthless on a route like that (I can bring and/or buy beverages to make up for the "freebie"), but guess I would likely not have done any better in coach.
Complain to Amtrak. They seem to be very generous with compensation lately.