FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Are we All Suckers for Using Expensive Phones When a Cheap $40 Will Work Fine?
Old Sep 27, 2017, 3:28 pm
Letitride3c

Programs: UA, AA, DL, B6, CX, KE, Latitude, VIFP, Crown & Anchor, etc.
Yes & no, I sold our pair of Nexus 5 on Swappa at a good price & upgraded mine the N5X about 2 years ago - just got Oreo latest stock rom on it with a custom kernel, working Android Pay (I think) and I don't see a need to get the latest bells & whisles. Mrs' Nexus 6 is, however, due sooner for a replacement but getting her to downsize from 6" to 5.2" with the Project Fi Moto trade-in deal might be a tough sell, but $250 + tax isn't bad at all.

My daypack's backup is el cheapo Blu R1HD 5" (factory unlocked, dual sim) that I got as a FRU for $30 shipped, use it for GPS off-line navigation, in-car dash cam in rentals and a 64GB mSD for plenty of music/videos ... slot 1 for a travel prepaid sim, swap out as needed & slot 2 with a Project Fi data only sim. That's my MiFi/hotspot on the road when WiFi is out of range. In my books, it's a best buy & yes, stripped of "funny" spyware and OTA disabled, no ads - running pure Android 6.0. Downside, battery life is so so and doesn't have lots of LTE bands but for voice & WiFi calling - get the job done in most places.

Last edited by Letitride3c; Sep 27, 2017 at 5:33 pm