FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Protecting Electronic Devices and Stored Information from Customs Searches
Old Sep 24, 2017, 8:49 pm
jphripjah

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by JakiChan
Exactly. And my phone won't run VMWare.

I'll be leaving for Japan on Wednesday. I wish I trusted iOS 11 enough to load it up before I go, but I'm waiting for the first big update. I don't want my phone screwing up on my trip. I'll probably put it on my iPad however.

Here's the risk I've decided to be willing to take upon my return, and it means I'm throwing money at the problem. I will just reboot my phone before Customs. If they ask me to unlock I'll say no. If they confiscate the device I'll let them, and go buy a new one. I can afford that. I might get the phone back some day but I'll just turn it over to the EFF or similar for forensics. Never trust that phone again.
Do you have some reason to believe your phone will be confiscated or searched by CBP? The odds of that happening to an average American returning from a trip to Japan are fairly infinitesimal. Why don't you just put a 16 digit alphanumeric password on your phone instead of rebooting it?