FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - BA Airbus A380: Which are the best seats? Master discussion thread
Old Sep 24, 2017, 1:37 am
corporate-wage-slave
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by cubedweller
Does anyone know if there are jetbridges for the upper deck at SFO or if Club World passengers on the upper deck go down the internal stairs before disembarking?
I can't recall the precise arrangements at SFO, but normally while all three jet bridges are manœuvred into place at the same time, the First door will normally open first, because the CSD will be there with the paperwork. Particularly in the USA no-one leaves the aircraft until the paperwork is handed over, so First would normally be the first to disembark. Therefore if you have a tight connection, have a word with the CSD / CSM, ideally show the boarding passes, and they may allow you an early departure from downstairs. Essentially there is very little passenger movement on the stairs, particularly the front ones, if a door can't open (airbridge failure) then of course it does happen, but that's the exception.

However in my experience of these things, the benefit of this in any aircraft is usually an illusion. Within 5 minutes of doors open this aircraft, all aircraft, is usually surprisingly empty, and as a generalisation, people miss tight connections due to being 20 minutes out, not 2 minutes. I appreciate that CBP in the USA may also be a factor, but 14 First Class passengers, some on GE, won't make much difference.

Originally Posted by Stewie Mac
I am also on a 380 soon, and like cubedweller keen to deplane sharpish... but I'm in Y. Looking at the seatmap, it appears that there are fewer seats=fewer people in front of Y on the main deck compared to upper deck, so I'm thinking as far forward as possible on the main deck.
I think you will find that WTP and CW passengers are more nifty than the main deck, as another impossible generalisation. They are less likely to be en famille, and more likely to be regular flyers. I certainly wouldn't give up on the side cupboards and marginally improved service level for this. Again if you have a tight connection, given your stellar interpersonal skills and shiny card, I'm sure the CSD/CSM can assist you further if you have a clear need to be off quickly. But all of this counts for naught if someone gets lost in Duty Frees, LHR Terminal 5.