FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Does Aer Lingus Allocate More Award Space Over Time?
Old Sep 22, 2017, 4:29 pm
rooney

Does Aer Lingus Allocate More Award Space Over Time?

Hi All,

So I fell for the old "United has availability, I'll transfer my million miles and book trick" to grab award space on DUB-LAX next year.

Problem is/was I needed 3 business class saver award tickets, and United displayed 4 available, pretty much on most, but not all weekdays because it's during off-peak spring time.

Anyway, once I booked and paid I got the dreaded "This flight segment cannot be confirmed. Please contact United Reservations for Assistance."

So I did, and as I sat on hold I assumed there might only be 2 seats available. Once I got the rep on the phone, they tried to push through 3 again to no avail, so I asked for 2, and the rep didn't think it would work, but I had him try anyway and it seemed to book. I noticed award availability was now gone for that date on all the websites you can search.

I feel pretty good about those 2 tickets, but now I'm curious what to do about my third ticket. Do I book in economy and try to get upgraded (is it even possible?) or hold out for additional business class awards to be released? I'm sure they have plenty of seats, just not sure if they'll open more up.

If anyone has advice/knowledge of Aer Lingus opening more award space, please let me know. Or if you have general tips regarding what to do that would be appreciated.

At this point, I can still just release my two good seats and try something entirely different (within United), but I kind of don't want to lose everything at this point. Flight isn't for about 8 months so I have some time.

Thank you!