FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Odds that AB will cease long-haul operations?
Old Sep 21, 2017, 4:21 pm
mel2012

Odds that AB will cease long-haul operations?

We have flights that were booked in May to fly from SFO to Duseldorf on 12/26 and then return from CDG to SFO 1/6. It totally escaped my notice that Air Berlin had declared bankruptcy until I received notice of a flight change last Friday (instead of flying from Paris to Berlin to SFO we were rerouted to fly Paris to Berlin to DUS to SFO).

I've been watching the developments over the last day or two trying to decide when to cut our losses and book alternate flights. Based on the latest reports, it sounds like the odds are high that all of the longhaul flights will be canceled soon (Reuters is saying 10/15). Any thoughts from experts or insiders on whether these reports are accurate?

How long should I wait to book an alternate flight? Since we're well beyond the period to file a chargeback claim with our credit card, and our credit card trip cancellation insurance doesn't cover financial insolvency, we'll be out everything we spent on the flights ($2300) if they're cancelled.

Last edited by mel2012; Sep 22, 2017 at 10:28 pm