FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Separate ticketing / PNR: AA, oneworld, through baggage & protection issues > 2016
Old Sep 20, 2017, 10:40 pm
SpinOn2

Programs: AA Gold, Enterprise PLT, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by aztimm
Based on what I've experienced and heard from others, I'm just surprised that if someone is going to bend the rules to help you, that it would be an agent at PHL
Perhaps things are finally changing there.

Anyway, with the barcode system, I don't think the bag tag needs to be updated as changes are made. The baggage handlers should scan it, and follow any instructions from there.
Not sure what they do if the scan says something different from the tag; if they question, or just go with the scan.
I believe they would likely scan it for the flight it was originally tagged on and probably get a message telling them the bag needs routed elsewhere now. That's a pretty risky proposition though, especially at a hub. I sat on a plane last month with a guy who said his bag was tagged from clt-lax earlier this year and somehow his bag got sent to FCO... how I have no idea. He even said the tag and everything was listed correct, so someone screwed up somewhere.