FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Separate ticketing / PNR: AA, oneworld, through baggage & protection issues > 2016
Old Sep 20, 2017, 10:53 am
JDiver
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by Mauibaby2008
the travel waiver was in place because of the hurricane .. so I changed my reservation due to the hurricane .. I didn't say I was directly impacted by it.

I did not know I needed to claim and re check my bags. In fact I did not even consider that it would be an issue. My
only point of reference for merging reservations was a few years ago on US Air/AA and they did it no questions asked. Sure ignorance of the rules is no excuse and now I know for future reference. But as I thought, and experienced in PHL just an hour ago, it is actually quite simple to do.
If you had been affected by the hurricane (IROPS), they might have accommodated your bag by checking it through, even if it's normally against policy, as indicated by some posters. But in this case you made a voluntary change to take advantage of a travel policy, so IROPS really doesn't apply.

What does apply is oneworld dropping its requirement for baggage through checking on separate PNRs. Though some airlines have backtracked and will through-check on separate PNRs if they're operating the originating flight, AA and BA continue to refuse to through-check on separate PNRs.

It's a shame you didn't check with AA or here before making the changes; this thread documents the issue pretty solidly.