FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - EVA Air: pls post your award ticket/upgrade experience here
Old Sep 20, 2017, 3:15 am
bluetear

Programs: Hilton HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by RandomNobody
TPE->MNL is such a relatively short flight that there won't be that much of a big loss or inconvenience if you don't get the upgrade. In my opinion, it's not worth fishing for that upgrade if I wind up needing to only pay for Economy on that segment. Oh, and TPE->MNL is Premium Laurel, not Royal Laurel.

With meal service, and the potential "circle Manila Bay and/or Clark Airfield waiting to land" you may get only 30 minutes or so of reclined seat time. No time for a decent nap.

The only real advantage of front cabin on that segment is a marginally better (and selectable in advance) meal, and being near the front of the queue for immigration.

The MNL->TPE segment in RL adds the advantage of not needing to pay the $11 USD fee for lounge access. But usually, I like the PAGS lounge better than the contracted EVA lounge, even though the PAGS lounge doesn't have windows.
Hi! Thanks for your insights. The reasons why we opted to upgrade the TPE-MNL even if it is only short haul is first, we wanted to avail of the lounge access in TPE, to freshen up and to have a suitable place to stay for the three of us. Also, we thought, "go big or go home" since we already had been upgraded to Royal Laurel in our LAX-TPE leg, might as well continue it on the second one. Our plane is the 777-300ER so seats and service will be relatively the same on that flight, I suppose. We had extra miles to spare so might as well use them for this trip already