FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - QX cutting flights due to pilot shortage
View Single Post
Old Sep 19, 2017, 8:06 pm
WebTraveler

Programs: Hilton Platinum, Alaska MVP Gold
Originally Posted by lg20
AS also sees this as a temporary problem, and keeping new SFO routes starting is better in the long run, assuming these cut routes will start up again once the pilot situation balances out.
Pilot situation is not going to get better anytime soon. This is a long term problem. Long term you will see traffic being ferried to SFO or Seattle. From a purely business decision this is maybe what makes more money. But Alaska was a dominant airline out of Portland. In the future will they maintain?

If I have to change planes then I am not so loyal. I am loyal if it works for me. if i have to change planes I am less loyal. I also might take a more convenient option. Changing planes in Seattle is a hassle. You get off Horizon and have to walk outside and around up stairs, ramps, etc., and often board a train. Its not easy. Connecting in SFO equally a pain, being a congested airport with variable weather issues.

If I need to go east I might as well fly to Dallas or Minneapolis or wherever to change. Flying south to SFO 1.5 hrs plus layover doesn't get to the east coast or even central USA any quicker, in fact it takes longer.

Last edited by WebTraveler; Sep 19, 2017 at 8:11 pm