FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Internet/TV in Italy for home
View Single Post
Old Sep 19, 2017, 1:48 pm
WorldLux

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
I can only give general advice and not advice specific to Italy.

Originally Posted by JMN57
In the midst of buying a house in Italy and wondered if anyone has some insight into how good 20 Meg ADSL is in Italy.
Tricky question without precise address. The location can make huge differences in terms of available speeds. A flat two streets over from my home has a maximum speed of 30 MBit/s whereas I can get 1 GBit/s.

In terms of speed, 20 Mbit/s should be enough to watch TV and browse at the same time. Much more (i.e. multi-screen and multiple devices browsing ) is probably going to be an issue in terms of bandwidth.

My realtor says fiber is supposed to come in January 2018 (I'd love that but I'll believe it when it's there) but for now it has ADSL.
I wouldn't count on it. When cleaning out my home in Southern France last June, I found a paper from 2012 announcing that fibre would arrive very soon. To this day there's no fibre access at that address.

I probably inquire with the company responsible of maintaining and extending the network whether works are underway or not.

... but I am trying to think through how I'm going to wire the house for internet, TV (Italian and US), set up a VPN between Italy and our US house. Looking like a good time to cut the cord and move towards streaming both US and Italian TV
An alternative to TV via internet may be a satellite dish. Could overall work out cheaper depending on how much time you're actually going to spend in Italia. In terms of cabling, it's certainly not wrong to have a couple of Cat 5 (or better) in the walls.